GDPT Vanh Hanh
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Vietnamese-American Elected To House...

5 posters

Go down

First Vietnamese-American Elected To House... Empty First Vietnamese-American Elected To House...

Post  xominivyox Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:32 am

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/07/louisiana.cao/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

(CNN) -- The Louisiana man who Saturday became the first Vietnamese-American elected to the House says he hopes his win will push more young people to become politically active.
Anh "Joseph" Cao says his win shows that "really anything can happen."

First Vietnamese-American Elected To House... Art.joseph.cao.cnn

"I am very honored and at this point, somewhat speechless to be the first Vietnamese-American congressman," Anh "Joseph" Cao told CNN on Sunday. "But I also hope that many of our young people will consider being more politically active and being move involved in the community. Because as you can see, really anything can happen."

The Republican defeated nine-term Democratic Rep. William Jefferson in the mostly African-American and heavily Democratic New Orleans-area district. Jefferson had been expected to win a 10th term despite battling scandals and a federal indictment for the past three years.

The contest, which drew a light turnout, was delayed until Saturday after Hurricane Gustav swept through southern Louisiana in late August. Had the vote been held during the November 4 general election, Jefferson -- who is black -- may have benefited from the heavy African-American voter turnout for Barack Obama.

Cao conceded that low voter turnout aided his victory.

"We were hoping for a low turnout because it would provide us with the greater chance of winning," said Cao, a lawyer and community activist. "Based on the demographics of the district, a high voter turnout would have gone to our disadvantage."

Cao also may have been helped by the scandal that has plagued Jefferson. Jefferson, who pleaded not guilty to 16 criminal counts of racketeering, bribery, money laundering and obstruction of justice, denies any wrongdoing.

In 2005, Jefferson's private homes in Washington and New Orleans were raided, and FBI agents say they found $90,000 in cash stashed in one of his freezers.

Officials say the money was part of a payment in marked bills from an FBI informant in a transaction captured on videotape. Jefferson also is accused of soliciting and receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes for himself and his family in exchange for promoting their products and services to countries in Africa.

Cao said he came to the United States at the age of 8 after his family fled Vietnam as it fell to communists.

"When I [was] 9 years old, I received a letter from my father while he was in the re-education camp," Cao said. "He told me to study hard, to work hard and to give back to your country and to your community. So I hope to do that in Congress."
xominivyox
xominivyox

Back to top Go down

First Vietnamese-American Elected To House... Empty Re: First Vietnamese-American Elected To House...

Post  No. 2 Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:49 am

Is he republican or democrat? actually, knowing most viet people, he's peobably democrat.

WHY VIET PEOPLE WHY

but i digress, this is a great achievement. GOOOO
No. 2
No. 2
Admin

Back to top Go down

First Vietnamese-American Elected To House... Empty Yay....sort of

Post  Chaumander Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 am

Hooray for a Vietnamese-American getting to congress, but SIXTEEN accounts of "racketeering, bribery, money laundering and obstruction of justice"!? REALLY?

And way to down-talk yourself dude. You're not supposed to admit that if there was high voter turnout you would've lost. That's just like saying "Oh good thing not that many people voted, because most people don't like me!"
UNWISE POLITICIAN...

I'm waiting for a legit person to get up there!
Chaumander
Chaumander

Back to top Go down

First Vietnamese-American Elected To House... Empty Re: First Vietnamese-American Elected To House...

Post  Animosity Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:56 am

Wow . . . so that's why my friend was laughing at me today -_-" that's pretty cool though ahahaha, Btw duy, he's republican I think . . . according to my friend.
Animosity
Animosity

Back to top Go down

First Vietnamese-American Elected To House... Empty hah

Post  KietTran Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:37 am

a viet rep WOULD be known for money laundering
KietTran
KietTran

Back to top Go down

Post  No. 2 Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:21 am

shoot i meant REPUBLICAN, why would I be like "WHY VIET PEOPLE WHY" cause im democrat
No. 2
No. 2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down